Everett McCreary Military Conference Scholarships
Before her death in 2015, Jean Carty-Turner, CST, CSFA, FAST, former AST Secretary and Director on the national Board of Directors, established a fund to benefit military members in honor of her father's service. In 2020, the Foundation's board voted to continue funding this scholarship indefinitely.
The Everett McCreary Military Conference Scholarship offers $1,000 conference scholarships so that AST members who are active, retired or disabled military and who have never gone to a national conference, can afford to attend AST's Surgical Technology Conference.
Applications are due February 1 each year. The application form will be available the previous fall, after details of the upcoming conference have been finalized.
Applicants for this scholarship must:
- upload documentation of military service (active military ID card or DD Form 214)
- be active, retired or disabled members of AST with uninterrupted membership for a minimum of two years prior to the date of the application. (Students are not eligible.)
- hold current certification (CST) through the NBSTSA.
- have never attended an AST conference and be willing and available to attend the 51st Surgical Technology Conference in Las Vegas from July 21-23, 2021.
- Write a 300-500-word essay explaining "How I Would Benefit from Attending Conference."
- provide a photo and personal statement about their experiences for the August 2021 issue of The Surgical Technologist.
complete the online form below.
The Foundation for Surgical Technology Committee will begin reviewing applications February 1, 2021. Scholarships will not exceed $1,000 each, so recipients will be responsible for costs that exceed the scholarship amount. Scholarship awards may not be transferred to other individuals or used for future conferences (2021 conference only).
2021 Everett McCreary Military Scholarship Application Form