The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage and reward educational excellence as well as to respond to the financial need demonstrated by the surgical technology student and offer assistance to those who seek a career in surgical technology.
- Selection is based on academic excellence and financial need combined.
- Scholarships are awarded based on the information provided on the application.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an accredited surgical technology program and eligible to sit for the NBSTSA national surgical technologist certifying examination. Be sure to fill in the information on the student application that requires the ARC/STSA school code or provide proof of ABHES surgical technology program accreditation.
- Applicants must demonstrate superior academic ability.
- Applicants must have a need for financial assistance.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MARCH 1, 2020.
Application Checkoff List
- Complete entire application and be sure you have responded to all questions.
- Proofread your application.
- Verify you have included the correct name of your school, street address, instructor's phone number and instructor's email address.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Yes, I have verified that my instructor’s email address is accurate.
- Yes, I understand that my application is not complete until my instructor evaluation has been submitted. It represents an important part of my scholarship application.
- Yes, I have notified my instructor.
Your classroom instructor will be sent a separate evaluation after you complete this form.
Scholarships will be awarded with the amount determined by the members of the Foundation for Surgical Technology Committee on the basis of merit and financial need. Scholarship recipients and their institutions will be notified by the end of May. The names of recipients will be announced at the AST Conference and also published in the AST Journal, AST website and on the NBSTSA website.
Scholarship funds are provided entirely through contributions to the Foundation for Surgical Technology by AST, NBSTSA, individuals, AST state assemblies, corporations and others who desire to support the surgical technology scholarship program.
As a demonstration of investment in the profession and professional organization, recipients will be required to be AST members prior to receipt of the award.
1. STUDENT SECTION
To be completed by student. All fields are required.
If you are awarded a scholarship, you must join your national professional organization, the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST).
Student member rates are $45. Scholarships are announced in May. If you receive a scholarship and have graduated from your program without
joining AST as a student, the AST membership will cost you $80.
(If ABHES accreditted scroll to the bottom of the list.)
1. Why do you want to become a surgical technologist? Describe your background and explain your career goals.
(Your response should be a minimum of 200 words and a maximum of 400 words).
3. Are your grades a reflection of your ability? Please explain any contributing circumstances that has affected your grades.
4. List the aspects of surgical technology that you find most interesting and explain why.
5. What are your favorite surgical specialties and in which areas would you prefer to work after graduation?
6. Have you been involved with your state assembly? If so, please explain. If you have not been involved in your state assembly, how do you plan to participate in your state assembly in the future?
7. Explain why you would be the best candidate for a scholarship award. Please explain your reasons, such as financial need, merit, etc.
I agree that all the information above is correct and true.